This church-like building built in the area of Jerusalem where the disciples, early Jewish believers, probably met in someone's home for church meetings.
Outside of here near (I think Zion Gate) is where Peter and other disciples would have gone to warm themselves after Jesus was taken away by the Roman soldiers. (Also where Peter would have denied Christ 3 times, and then further down the road we were on is where he ran and wept after the rooster crowed.)
This window is not the original building, but is in the same location where the Last Supper would have taken place in the Upper Room! (Coins were found under this building dating back to that time.) -This is the area more specifically where the home I mentioned would have been.-
This is the courtyard area of the building that is on top of what I just described. There is now a memorial inside that is supposedly David’s tomb according to tradition.....but in reality there is no way it matches up to the description in the Bible as to where David was buried! (But it looked cool! :)
This is us re-enacting the Last Supper inside the room that's memorializing where it happened.The table would have been in the middle there, and that's how in their culture they "sat" around the table. They would lay on their side on cushions and eat with their right hand. The girl in the blue coat is in the highest guest of honor seat and the girl with the black coat next is the host seat (where Jesus would have sat but we had "Jesus re-enacting washing the disciples feet so he isn't sitting yet)
I am running out of time to write and add more photos, so this will have to end here! More to come of the MAIN stuff we did today (Sunday).
Oh yes....and yesterday and Friday I experienced my first Shabbat! (Sabbath). Very interesting. Saturday morning church was in Hebrew with a translator. He spoke on Psalm 51 (David's prayer/cry of repentance after his sin with Bathsheba) It was wonderful to hear the Psalm read in it's original language while reading along in English and I could just imagine the pain and earnestness in David voice when he, seeing his sinfulness, cried out for forgiveness, mercy and grace which he knew he wasn’t worthy of asking for, but knew with full confidence that God would give it to him, not because of anything David did, but rather based on God's character. What amazing love and grace. I have the power to sin. God has the power to forgive! I could go on about what I learned from that and how much it pierced my heart, but...I won't for now.
Read the Psalm yourself, and praise God for His grace! Our sins are GONE- because of Christ's atonement!
No comments:
Post a Comment