Tuesday, January 14, 2014

2013

It's difficult to fathom just how quick 2013 went by! We celebrated our 3rd anniversary in June, took a long planned for trip of a lifetime to Israel and we gained 2 new brothers-in-law. 2013 has been one of the best and yet also hardest year of our lives. God has really blessed with deepening friendships here in California, something I am exceedingly thankful for as the first few years living out here were difficult not having many close friendships with other couples our age. We've also greatly loved having my brother and 3 of Daniel's sisters living in our town this past year for school/work. It's a blessing to have family so close and even attending the same church/bible study we do.
We enjoyed spending Thanksgiving with my family out at the family farm cabin and spent New Years with Daniel's family up in the mountains of California.
Family at Sarah's wedding 
Dear friends from Grace
Family at Christmas
He's also allowed us to go through some difficult trials and be faced with circumstances, decisions, and painful news that would challenge us to respond in a way that would bring honor to Him. I am thankful for these times as well as the good times. In fact as painful as they are I praise God for allowing us to go through times of trial because it is then that I see myself growing the most. God has revealed to me what a control freak I can be, wanting to be in control of mine and my loved ones lives, to know exactly what is going to happen in the future and be able to plan accordingly. But that need to control is really just sinful pride, fear and lack of trust in the One who actually holds tomorrow in His hands.
Difficult times force me to depend on God and reminds me that even when life seems easy I (and my loved ones) am still completely dependent on the Lord and His grace for every breath I take.  God is teaching me to trust Him with the unknown and to be satisfied in Him alone as He makes me more like Christ. 
Looking forward to seeing what 2014 holds for us and praying God's will (not ours) be done in it all. 

As for me, I shall behold Your face in righteousness;
I will be satisfied with Your likeness when I awake.
Psalm 17:15

In Sequoia National Park

No comments: