Thursday, December 3, 2009

Update-ish


For those of you who remind me that I am not keeping this updated....here is an update...or at least some things I've been thinking through.....
I am about to finish the first semester of my LAST year in college. May 7th 2010 can't come soon enough I feel. The past 3 1/2 years at The Master's College have been some of the best years of my life so far and yet some of the worse years too....funny how it works that way.

I'm graduating with a BA in Biblical Counseling. Though at times I feel nervous because...what kind of job can you get with a "Biblical Counseling" degree? Whose even heard of that degree? Most people I talk to have not heard of it, though I will say it makes for some great lead-ins to sharing my faith and the gospel with people I meet! Even though at times I've wondered if I should have picked a major that would seem to offer more security in the working world, ultimately, I have never regretted pursuing this major.  It's been basically 4 years of studying Scripture, learning what it says about our sin, salvation, sanctification, God's love, hope, grace, wrath, justice, comfort, wisdom, holiness, worthiness, etc. and learning how to apply that to my life and how to help those around me understand their need for Christ's likeness.
 It's also been 4 years of counseling my own heart. Sure I've counseled other girls, but through it all I'm constantly having to examine my own heart in ways I never really understood how before. It's shown the depth of sin and the overwhelming vastness of God's grace in my life.
I took a year of Hebrew last year....my favorite word was the word "hesed." It's usually translated as "loving-kindness" but the true meaning of the word is so deep it's hard to explain it in English, but it's the idea of God's immense love and grace His tender, steadfast kindness or grace. That word just fits what I've learned and experienced these last 4 years especially.

One of the biggest blessing from my time here would be my long time friend, recent boyfriend and best friend :-D


Anyway....I am (Lord willing) graduating in May 2010 ( I did pass the Senior Competency exam that all Bible majors are required to pass to graduate!! So glad it's over, and thank you for your prayers for that. )
Not entirely sure what this summer will look like, but excited to find out! I'm praying I will be able to find a job quickly in this tough economy, but either way I know the Lord will provide as He sees fit.
I am dying to travel again. Wish I was able to return to Samara, Russia again this summer, but maybe someday. Would love to spend more time in Germany too. Visited Frankfurt (area my ancestors came from) for about 12 hours this summer on way to Russia and loved it!
Most likely the only traveling I'll be doing for now will be between California and Illinois....but then I also didn't think I'd be going to Israel or Russia.... we'll see :) I've learned never to doubt what God will do or where He will take you in life!

2 comments:

Shanley said...

good to catch up on your life! it's been so long, friend!

Kirsten said...

you are an amazing person, i am glad to have had the pleasure of calling you friend. I think about you often and miss you extremely. Maybe one day we will get together again. I miss your hugs!

Kirsten