Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Archaeological Dig


Our archaeological digging is at an end. I am sad because it was great fun and I love the hard labor, but I am glad because I am in very, very, very bad pain and nausea because of my bad back. But I have amazing friends that are taking care of me. I think the most interesting artifacts that we found were the skulls, teeth and bones. It was so weird to think I was holding some ancient dead persons bones! Oh we also found brains.. I didn't know they would dry up like that, very weird! Some people found a few cool pottery items that were actually still mostly intact, an oil lamp and a vase/jug. It was a good experience. I didn't realize how much work it is to move just one layer of dirt. We got to see their methods of digging in trenches and square by square. It was also interesting talking to the Israelis we were working with and finding out where they are from and what they are doing with their lives. They found our singing songs while we were working funny :)

Saturday we went into Jerusalem for church and then walked around afterwards. The picture above is me and my friend, Clara. We found this old, run down Arabic graveyard to explore. We also found this old pool and the fence was down, so we climbed down into it and explored :) And if you want an explanation of the picture...well we thought that bush looked like it was going to come alive and eat us! It had nasty thorns on the edge of the leaves as I found out the hard way.


Here we are at the dig spot, I am in black in the center (the only girl)





No comments: